Eating To Refuel & Recover FasterAdmin
It may sound counterintuitive, but eating is one of the most important parts of having a worthwhile workout. Forget to eat something before you exercise and you could easily end up light-headed, dizzy, and drained. It’s likely your pre-workout nourishment is on point, but what about that post-sweat snack. What you eat on the other end of your workout matters. During a workout your muscles get depleted of glycogen; proteins in your muscles break down too, so picking exactly what to eat after a burning workout is a key component to any fitness regime.
The main source of fuel for your muscles and your entire body, so eating 20 to 60 minutes after exercise is a smart way to properly refuel your glycogen stores and store the carbs consumed as energy. If you are practicing high-impact cardio or other endurance sports, you will likely need to eat more carbs post workout to keep up with your body’s demand. The same goes for those who exercise more frequently versus those who rest a day or two in between sessions.
Having protein after exercise gives your body the amino acids it needs to repair and rebuild muscle. It also gives you the building blocks required to form new muscle tissue and get stronger.
Your best bet is a combination of carbs and protein. As a rule of thumb, try to eat something with a 3:1 ratio of the two.
- A coffee protein shake: blend a banana, scoop of protein powder, oat milk, and a shot of espresso with ice. Talk about some energy!
- Banana nut butter toast: Top a slice of whole grain toast with cashew or almond butter and half of a sliced banana. Sprinkle a little cinnamon on top for a twist.
- Sweet potatoes: Roast them and serve with salmon for a heart-healthy lunch or dinner.
- Black bean tacos: Scoop black beans, guac, and roasted red peppers into corn tortillas. For a breakfast version, add eggs and cotija cheese.
- Chocolate milk: It’s True! In a pinch, it will serve as a solid combination of carbs and protein, plus it is quick and easy to take on-the-go.
Another way to keep things simple is to take a pre-workout and post-workout supplement to ensure that your body is getting the nutrients it needs to complete a high energy workout and to recover after. Try Soma-Ceauticals for all of your body’s nutritional needs.